[Peace-discuss] The Trouble with Diversity

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu May 1 23:08:09 CDT 2008

[The following is from "The Trouble with Diversity: How We Learned to Love
Identity and Ignore Inequality," by Walter Benn Michaels.  --CGE]

Introduction

"The rich are different from you and me” is a famous remark supposedly made
by F. Scott Fitzgerald to Ernest Hemingway, although what made it famous—or
at least made Hemingway famously repeat it—was not the remark itself but
Hemingway’s reply: “Yes, they have more money.” In other words, the point of
the story, as Hemingway told it, was that the rich really aren’t very different
from you and me. Fitzgerald’s mistake, he thought, was that he mythologized or
sentimentalized the rich, treating them as if they were a different kind of person
instead of the same kind of person with more money. It was as if, according to
Fitzgerald, what made rich people different was not what they had—their money
—but what they were, “a special glamorous race.”

            To Hemingway, this difference—between what people owned and what
they were—seemed obvious, and it was also obvious that the important thing
was what they were. No one cares much about Robert Cohn’s money in The Sun
Also Rises, but everybody feels the force of the fact that he’s a “race-conscious”
“little kike.” And whether or not it’s true that Fitzgerald sentimentalized the rich
and made them more glamorous than they really were, it’s certainly true that he,
like Hemingway, believed that the fundamental differences—the ones that really
mattered—ran deeper than the question of how much money you had. That’s
why in The Great Gatsby, the fact that Gatsby has made a great deal of money
isn’t quite enough to win Daisy Buchanan back. Rich as he has become, he’s still
“Mr. Nobody from Nowhere,” not Jay Gatsby but Jimmy Gatz. The change of
name is what matters. One way to look at The Great Gatsby is as a story about a
poor boy who makes good, which is to say, a poor boy who becomes rich—the
so-called American dream. But Gatsby is not really about someone who makes
a lot of money; it is instead about someone who tries and fails to change who
he is. Or, more precisely, it’s about someone who pretends to be something
he’s not; it’s about Jimmy Gatz pretending to be Jay Gatsby. If, in the end, Daisy
Buchanan is very different from Jimmy Gatz, it’s not because she’s rich and he
isn’t (by the end, he is) but because Fitzgerald treats them as if they really do
belong to different races, as if poor boys who made a lot of money were only
“passing” as rich. “We’re all white here,” someone says, interrupting one of Tom
Buchanan’s racist outbursts. Jimmy Gatz isn’t quite white enough.

            What’s important about The Great Gatsby, then, is that it takes one kind
of difference (the difference between the rich and the poor) and redescribes it as
another kind of difference (the difference between the white and the not-so-
white). To put the point more generally, books like The Great Gatsby (and there
have been a great many of them) give us a vision of our society divided into
races rather than into economic classes. And this vision has proven to be
extraordinarily attractive. Indeed, it’s been so attractive that the vision has
survived even though what we used to think were the races have not. In the
1920s, racial science was in its heyday; now very few scientists believe that
there are any such things as races. But many of those who are quick to remind
us that there are no biological entities called races are even quicker to remind us
that races have not disappeared; they should just be understood as social
entities instead. And these social entities have turned out to be remarkably
tenacious, both in ways we know are bad and in ways we have come to think of
as good. The bad ways involve racism, the inability or refusal to accept people
who are different from us. The good ways involve just the opposite: embracing
difference, celebrating what we have come to call diversity.

            Indeed, in the United States, the commitment to appreciating diversity
emerged out of the struggle against racism, and the word diversity itself began
to have the importance it does for us today in 1978 when, in Bakke v. Board of
Regents, the Supreme Court ruled that taking into consideration the race of an
applicant to the University of California (in this case, it was the medical school at
UC Davis) was an acceptable practice if it served “the interest of diversity.” The
point the Court was making here was significant. It was not asserting that
preference in admissions could be given, say, to black people because they had
previously been discriminated against. It was saying instead that universities
had a legitimate interest in taking race into account in exactly the same way
they had a legitimate interest in taking into account what part of the country an
applicant came from or what his or her nonacademic interests were. They had,
in other words, a legitimate interest in having a “diverse student body,” and
racial diversity, like geographic diversity, could thus be an acceptable goal for an
admissions policy.

            Two things happened here. First, even though the concept of diversity
was not originally connected with race (universities had long sought diverse
student bodies without worrying about race at all), the two now came to be
firmly associated. When universities publish their diversity statistics today,
they’re not talking about how many kids come from Oregon. My university—the
University of Illinois at Chicago—is ranked as one of the most diverse in the
country, but well over half the students in it come from Chicago. What the
rankings measure is the number of African Americans and Asian Americans and
Latinos we have, not the number of Chicagoans.

            And, second, even though the concept of diversity was introduced as a
kind of end run around the historical problem of racism (the whole point was
that you could argue for the desirability of a diverse student body without
appealing to the history of discrimination against blacks and so without getting
accused by people like Alan Bakke of reverse discrimination against whites), the
commitment to diversity became deeply associated with the struggle against
racism. Indeed, the goal of overcoming racism, which had sometimes been
identified as the goal of creating a “color-blind” society, was now reconceived
as the goal of creating a diverse, that is, a color-conscious, society. Instead of
trying to treat people as if their race didn’t matter, we would not only recognize
but celebrate racial identity. Indeed, race has turned out to be a gateway drug
for all kinds of identities, cultural, religious, sexual, even medical. To take what
may seem like an extreme case, advocates for the disabled now urge us to stop
thinking of disability as a condition to be “cured” or “eliminated” and to start
thinking of it instead on the model of race: we don’t think black people should
want to stop being black; why do we assume the deaf want to hear?

            The general principle here is that our commitment to diversity has
redefined the opposition to discrimination as the appreciation (rather than the
elimination) of difference. So with respect to race, the idea is not just that
racism is a bad thing (which of course it is) but that race itself is a good thing.
Indeed, we have become so committed to the attractions of race that (as I’ve
already suggested above and as we’ll see at greater length in chapter 1) our
enthusiasm for racial identity has been utterly undiminished by scientific
skepticism about whether there is any such thing. Once the students in my
American literature classes have taken a course in human genetics, they just
stop talking about black and white and Asian races and start talking about black
and European and Asian cultures instead. We love race, and we love the
identities to which it has given birth.

            The fundamental point of this book is to explain why this is true. The
argument, in its simplest form, will be that we love race—we love identity—
because we don’t love class. We love thinking that the differences that divide us
are not the differences between those of us who have money and those who
don’t but are instead the differences between those of us who are black and
those who are white or Asian or Latino or whatever. A world where some of us
don’t have enough money is a world where the differences between us present
a problem: the need to get rid of inequality or to justify it. A world where some
of us are black and some of us are white—or biracial or Native American or
transgendered—is a world where the differences between us present a solution:
appreciating our diversity. So we like to talk about the differences we can
appreciate, and we don’t like to talk about the ones we can’t. Indeed, we don’t
even like to acknowledge that they exist. As survey after survey has shown,
Americans are very reluctant to identify themselves as belonging to the lower
class and even more reluctant to identify themselves as belonging to the upper
class. The class we like is the middle class.

            But the fact that we all like to think of ourselves as belonging to the same
class doesn’t, of course, mean that we actually do belong to the same class. In
reality, we obviously and increasingly don’t...