[Peace-discuss] Our Good old Paul Street

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Sun May 4 22:57:39 CDT 2008

I'd like to have him back here again. He thinks straight.  --mkb

Hidden Revolutionary Sentiment in the Heartland – a Reason for HOPE*

May 03, 2008 By Paul Street
Source: Empire and Inequality Report, No. 32

Paul Street's ZSpace Page

Since its May 1st, the official day of international working class
revolution, I thought I would relate something positive and hopeful
relating to a speech I gave at the University of Iowa two Saturdays
ago.  You can read an extended version of the speech at http://
www.zcommunications.org/znet/viewArticle/17218

I'd give myself a B+ on the delivery. Part of it was the excellent
audience - maybe a hundred or so student activists from across the
Midwest, all of them affiliated with the Campus Antiwar Network: very
smart, very motivated, and very progressive...more left than I had
anticipated. There were a bunch from Madison; many from UW-Milwaukee
and Chicago (DePaul, Loyola, UIC, more), one or two from Ann Arbor,
and so on. Throw in a good handful of non-student progressives from
town (Iowa City) and the local region and it was just the sort of
people I like to talk to.

Anyway, here's the cool part. At the end, as I was winding up my big
fancy address on "Whose Aims in What U.S. Global War Terror?," I got
to my recommendations for antiwar activists at the end.

Here were my five suggestions:

"1. Be skeptical about getting too involved in 9/11 conspiracy
theories. Ask me why if you want in the Q and A." [Note: only one
person cared to object on this...I think the conspiracy diversion may
be fading out]

"2. Avoid Obamania. Look, I like to make a little fun of it all, but
it's a big deal. It's going to be huge on your campuses next fall and
you're going to have to know how to deal with it in a productive and
tactically astute way.  If you want more details ask me in Q and A
and I'll give three of the 25 ways in which His Holiness the Dali
Obama is in fact NOT antiwar and how he Clings to the Guns of Empire.
But that doesn't mean you shouldn't vote to block the GOP and ‘for'
Obama if you live in a contested state.  Wherever you live, we need
to know how to work with and through the Obama phenomenon in a
constructive way. It offers some opportunities. He's raising and
surfing a bunch of expectations he's not going to deliver on, and
that's very important." [Note: I expected Obamanist objections on
this but there were none.  One activist outflanked me on the Left,
saying that he thought Obama might be a worse than McCain because the
former candidate's imperialism is cloaked and the latter candidate's
imperialism is open].

"3. Avoid what the sociologist Charles Derber calls ‘the election
trap:' the belief that meaningful long term progressive change can be
achieved by going into a voting booth for 2 minutes once every 1460
days." [Note: this was admittedly a very partial statement of
Derber's concept]

"4. Please stay relentlessly alert to the critical distinction
between opposing the Iraq War on pragmatic grounds and resisting it
on principled and moral grounds.  Never let go of the difference
between opposing it like Obama says because it is a strategic
imperial mistake and resisting it because it is an imperialist crime."

"5. Call for revolution. I say this for two reasons.  The first
reason and this is my personal sense...I've been around watching this
country and world and society for a while now and I have the very
distinct impression that we cannot meaningfully attain democracy,
peace, economic, social, racial and gender or any other kind of
justice or ecological sustainability under the inherently perverted
priorities of the capitalist profit system. The second reason is more
‘pragmatic.' History shows again and again that big and meaningful
reforms --- and we need reforms --- are only attained when elites are
convinced that the cost of changing is less than the cost of not
changing. The change only comes when the governing class believes
you're ready, willing, and able to burn down the house."

Now, here's the neat thing. All of these points elicited nice support
- verbal agreement, heads nodding, light applause and so
forth...except the last one.

The last point -"call for revolution" - led to an instantaneous
standing ovation before I even got into explaining why.

I barely and not all that artfully got these three words out of my
mouth - "call for revolution" - and the auditorium went a little bit
crazy.

It got pretty good again after I articulated my sense that we've
pretty much exhausted the limits of democratic progress (and social
justice and ecological sustainability and peace and economic
rationality) under the capitalist "profit system."

These young folks were more than a little receptive to the notion
that the Iraq and Afghanistan wars are about the underlying political
economy of military capitalism and imperialism.

Later in the Q and A, I met strong agreement when a student-activist
asked me about the declining state of "the economy" and I observed
that the phrase "the economy" was routinely used by mainstream
authorities to cloak the dark reality of the capitalist system, a
particular historical model of political economy deidcated to
concentration of wealth and exploitation of the many by the
privileged few.

Listen up you discouraged thirty-something, middle-aged and senior
American radicals out there: the post-9/11 clouds have faded. We've
got some young people who are more than just antiwar.  We've got some
anti-capitalists, again.

I was reminded of a large number of working-class households I
visited as a John Edwards canvasser (I know, yes, not all that
radical...spare me the bitter e-mails; it was totally without
illusion) last fall. You could (I could, anyway) sense the rage over
class inequality and imperial wars (often explained by people in
these homes as "all about the oil") ordered by rich people whose sons
and daughters are never sent off to die and kill (that privilege is
reserved for thre workking class). I could feel it bubbling beneath
the surface of superficially polite discussions over who to vote for
in the Iowa Caucus.  On a few occasions, I heard ordinary working
folks say basically that they we were going to have to level this
society and get rid of "all the rich bastards...or at least cut them
down to size."

The thing a lot of voters (and more than a few non-voters) I met
liked about Edwards was his initially insistent rhetoric on what he
called "the two Americas": on one hand the privileged circles of
wealth and power and on the other hand the exploited and angry
working class majority. That distinction makes a lot of sense to
working-class people - imagine.

Being linked to a presidential candidate got me in the door but often
the conversation that ensued was about a helluva lot more than
candidates and electoral politics.

For this and other reasons, I am more optimistic than I've been in a
while.  I have the distinct impression that many Americans (young and
not so young) are getting ready for some serious radical action
beyond the narrow limits of what passes for a democratic political
culture in the U.S. Prices are going through the roof not just on gas
but on bread and milk and other basic essentials and its got working
people more outraged than any time I've seen in a long time. That
outrage needs progressive channels and radical outlets.

Like the students I spoke with two Saturday nights ago, the working
class does not seem all that caught up in "the election trap." It
doesn't harbor many illusions about candidates Obama or Clinton being
big parts of meaningful solutions. "It's all a big corporate farce,"
is what one 50-something guy said to me about the presidential race.
It's about something more significant than switching up corporate-
vetted elites. People know the problems go a lot deeper than that.
It's going to take something along the lines of a revolution.

* This essay was written on May First, 2008

Veteran radical historian Paul Street (paulstreet99 at yahoo.com) is the
author of Empire and Inequality: America and the World Since 9/11
(Boulder, CO: Paradigm). His latest book is Racial Oppression in the
Global Metropolis (New York: Rowman & Littlefield, 2007).His next
book is Barack Obama and the Future of American Politics (2008)