[Peace-discuss] Re: [Announce] NG poll @ Nursing Home

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed May 7 23:12:50 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 10:29:23PM -0500, Barbara kessel wrote:
> Ditto to John and Brian. What is left to us? I am going to go tomorrow night
> to the Board meeting on it. Perhaps there willb e a moment to cheer or boo.
> Barbara

Yes.  I'll be there as well.

I'll want to point out a good reason for the nursing home to be
supported by a local tax.

The State's cut in Medicare payments has turned our viable nursing
home into one that's running hundreds of thousands of dollars in the red.
That's unfair of them.  They claim they're saving us money, but they're
really just failing to fund their obligations, in Medicare as in
lots of other areas.

But we don't have to let the State's mismanagement bring down a valuable
public service.  If they're not going to levy enough state income tax
to cover what they owe the nursing home, then it's entirely appropriate
for us to pay locally to make up the difference.

I notice that "raise taxes to support it" got the largest number
of votes from the (now closed?) N-G poll's half-baked options.