[Peace-discuss] What's the story on IDF?

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Sat May 10 16:07:38 CDT 2008

The Illinois Disciples Foundation is run from Bloomington Illinois and is a
regional division for the Disciples of Christ denomination. These
foundations were established to serve the needs of student populations and,
due to financial trouble, ended up selling the building to a property
management agency.

The church (University Place Christian Church) still owns their part of the
building and did make an effort to buy the foundation portion. However they
couldn't meet the bidding price of the company that ended up purchasing the
Foundation facilities and the parking lot. The main chapel is absolutely
beautiful, but I wouldn't be surprised if the church ends up having to move
and this building gets knocked down to build another apartment complex.

In regards to the Common Ground Co-op relocating to Lincoln Square is really
a smart move. The parking is more accessible and being next to the farmers
market is a plus.  A friend of mine who has had a lot of co-op experience
told me that many of these organizations have had to expand their base
operations in order to survive.

There are still places that serve social justice and political causes....The
Channing Murray Foundation comes to mind.