[Peace-discuss] Problems for the "awakenings" strategy

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun May 11 18:45:51 CDT 2008

[Mort mentioned at tonight's meeting the factionalization of Iraqis, especially
in Anbar province.  Here're some particulars.  --CGE]

	The Anbar Problem No One is Talking About
	by: Brandon Friedman
	Thu May 08, 2008 at 05:17:33 AM EDT

For months now, supporters of the war in Iraq have trumpeted America's apparent
success in Iraq's Anbar Province as a model for counterinsurgency operations.
With major fighting in Fallujah, Ramadi, and Qaim in the past, what had once
been the most violent region of Iraq had -- by the fall of 2007 -- become one of
the most peaceful areas of the country.

It stayed that way until recently.  When a yet-to-be-named U.S. soldier was
killed while on patrol in Anbar on Tuesday, he became the ninth American to die
there in the past three and a half weeks.  This is neither random nor insignificant.

In fact, during the past 30 days, 23 percent of coalition combat fatalities have
occurred in al-Anbar Province.  Considering that only two U.S. troops had been
killed in Anbar in the preceding six months -- representing just over one
percent of total coalition combat fatalities during that period -- this is a
huge uptick.

In comparison, combat fatalities have dropped significantly in Baghdad over the
same 30-day period.  The graph below shows the percentages of coalition combat
fatalities taking place in Baghdad and al-Anbar over the past seven months (in
30-day increments beginning on October 11, 2007):

	[snip]

To be certain, people don't plant IEDs randomly.  Planting roadside bombs in the
first place is incredibly risky, and insurgents don't take the issue lightly.
Thus, when IEDs and VBIEDs (car bombs) suddenly start going off west of Baghdad
again, it's for a reason.

While I do not profess to know exactly what change in the political climate
precipitated this specific spike in violence, I do know that General Petraeus
was correct when he said that the placidity in Anbar Province was reversible.
What most have failed to realize thus far is that, while al Qaeda is deeply
unpopular in Anbar, U.S. forces are equally despised.  So it seems that those
who've repeatedly used Anbar's relative peacefulness as a sign of impending U.S.
success in Iraq know little about counterinsurgency and less about Iraq.

Success in Iraq is something that will be brought about by Iraqis -- not the
American military.  As long as we're there, the best we can hope for is extreme
violence broken by periodic lulls -- such as what we've witnessed in Anbar over
the past seven months.  As long we remain in Iraq, the violence will remain
cyclical.  It will rise and fall, contingent on the latest deal we've cut with
tribal leaders or the latest deal that someone has brokered within the Iraqi
government.  But our military will never completely solve this inherently Iraqi
problem.  We're watching that unfortunate fact unfold before us in Anbar this
month...

	http://www.vetvoice.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=1211