[Peace-discuss] FW: [police oversight] Officials seek safeguards for stun guns

LAURIE LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Tue May 20 15:29:58 CDT 2008

I thought that some of you might find this of interest - if only to file
away in a database somewhere when issues of Tasers and stun guns come up for
discussion again.  I think that the community needs to insist that in the
event that any agencies do adopt these weapons (i.e., the County Sheriffs'
Department) or are planning to do so; they should have in place publically
reviewed and approved sets of clear cut explicit safeguard guidelines and
policies pertaining to the use and non-use of the weapons by whom under what
circumstances and the number of times a subject should be subjected to  them
in the course of an incident as well as an explicit statement of the
penalties for violation of those guidelines and the process by which such
investigations will be conducted and decisions made public