[Peace-discuss] Today in the Military *Military.com*

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Tue May 27 14:54:39 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Barbara kessel <barkes at gmail.com> wrote:

"The Hague restrictions do not apply to Law Enforcement Agencies,
> however. Ballistics expert Gary Roberts said that is an inconsistency
> that needs to be remedied, particularly at a time when so many other
> types of destructive ordnance are allowed in combat." from the article
> in the N-G today. (Great follow up for Memorial Day, don't you think?)
>
> Can someone explain to me what this little apparently parenthetical
> comment means in an article that is all about military weapons in
> combat? Is this referencing the Iraqi police, perhaps? Or our police?

Given that they're discussing the Hague Conventions, which is/are an
international agreement, and the article specifically says that the Hague
restrictions do not apply to law enforcement agencies, I'd say it's all
police anywhere in the world which are NOT included.  Thus they are
individually free to decide whether or not to use hollow-point bullets.

American police definitely use hollow-point bullets.  The idea is, as
previously stated, that if you've reached the point in a "situation" where
it's either your life or your assailant's, you want ammunition that will
stop your assailant in his/her tracks, not just infuriate him/her further.

> This technical/neutral-sounding tone is always there in discussions of
> weapons and tactics in the local and state law enforcement agency
> settings as well, where it is not a previous assumption that "killing
> is their business" as it is in the military.

In law enforcement, the use of force is an integral part of their
"business".  I don't understand why any of this is surprising.

To use an analogy, do you expect every scientific discussion of, say, the
relative merits of wind energy vs. solar energy to include an elaborate
discussion justifying the use of alternative energy sources in the first
place?