[Peace-discuss] Charlie Rose's interview of Col McMaster

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Sat May 31 12:45:16 CDT 2008

Charlie Rose interviewed Colonel Herbert Raymond McMaster. Did anyone else
catch the interview? What did you all think?

McMaster is very high up for one of the guys on the ground in Iraq. He takes
the Administration's line, or is more likely the one who creates the lies so that
the Administration can sell it to the public. (McMaster is also the author of the
book "Dereliction of Duty" which alleges that U.S. military leaders failed in their
constitutional duty to challenge the "deeply flawed military strategy" of the
Vietnam era -- a very frightening guy).

Charlie Rose asked a few questions but just basically listened while McMaster
gave his spiel. There were so many times that Mr. Rose could have asked a good
question but he failed to ask anything of any real importance. My favorite part
was very close to the end of the time when McMaster finished one sentence with
(and I paraphrase here) "the Iraqi leaders now know that the US military is not
planning to be there for a long time" and McMaster's very next sentence was "we
will be there years, not months -- there is no way that we will be there only a
matter of months."

The only good thing about the interview is that there is now one place where all
the lies and misconstruing of information can be found in one place -- and it
will here: http://www.charlierose.com/shows/2008/05/30/1/a-conversation-
with-col-h-r-mcmaster

-karen medina