[Peace-discuss] Unpoisoning the wells

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 4 03:14:21 CST 2008

[From Uri Avnery, a self-confessed optimist.  --CGE]

...As far as the national interests of the US are concerned, the "larger Middle
East" is not a secondary theater. It is one of the most important, and the new
administration will have to deal with it right from the beginning. This is also
the theater where the catastrophic failures of Bush are the most obvious.

When Obama and his people -- and I hope that they will be new people, not the
wrecks from the Clinton era -- examine this subject, they will be compelled to
arrive at a self-evident conclusion: that the hatred for the US that is boiling
from Morocco to Pakistan is inextricably bound up with the Israeli-Palestinian
conflict. This is what has poisoned all the wells. This is the trump card in the
hands of the Sunni Osama Bin-Laden and the Shiite Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. This
conclusion was already made clear in the bi-partisan Baker-Hamilton report,
which Bush has thrown into the wastebasket.

This conclusion leads to another one: that it is in the American interest to
turn over a new page in our region and to really work for an
Israeli-Palestinian, Israeli-Syrian, Israeli-all-Arab and perhaps even
Israeli-Iranian peace. This conclusion was apparent already on the morrow of
9/11. I wrote at the time that this was going to happen, any minute now, as the
inevitable lesson from the disaster. I was wrong. Bush and the Bushites went in
the opposite direction, and made the situation ten times worse. I hope that it
will happen now...

http://www.counterpunch.org/avnery11032008.html