[Peace-discuss] Why Obama has to do that...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 4 19:14:54 CST 2008

John--

You and I both know how burdensome it is to be right when we're surrounded by
fools and poltroons.  (We just disagree on who they are...)

The draft indeed has something to do with it.  That's why I support a draft
today, over against a mercenary army of the poor (the regular army) and a
mercenary army of the middle class (Blackwater, SAIC, etc.)

But remember that, when there was no draft, Reagan wanted to put the US military
into central America -- on the model of what his model, JFK, had done in SE Asia
-- and was unable to do so, because of the anti-war movement of the 1980s.  That
movement didn't come from America's clapped-out "left" but from the anti-war
movement that had taken "the Long March through the institutions": the
opposition to the Reagan wars in central America came from churches, the source
of the "accompaniment" movement, and it was more successful than the anti-war
movement against Kennedy & Johnson.  The foreign policy of he Reagan
administration was driven underground -- hence Iran-Contra.

That shows that a successful anti-war movement is possible without the draft,
altho' a draft would help.  The American ruling class really doesn't want to
disturb the only force it really fears, the American majority.  --CGE