[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Watch AOTA when the hurlyburly's done...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 5 17:21:45 CST 2008

There's been a lot written recently by those who think that "WILL
SHAKE-SPEAR" was a pseudonym (as well as a bawdy pun: see Sonnets 135 &
136).  There aren't (m)any other examples of 16th-century English names'
being hyphenated like that, for one thing (and Shakespeare loved a pun).

The best candidate for the authorship of the Shakespearean canon seems
to be Edward de Vere, 17th Earl of Oxford (1550-1604). A good recent
book on the subject is "Shakespeare by Another Name" (2005), by Mark
Anderson.  (See his website & blog at
<http://shakespearebyanothername.com/index.html>.)

If this admittedly largely pointless inquiry (like sports or politics)
interests you, see the argument at
<http://www.authorshipstudies.org/articles/oxford_shakespeare.cfm>. And
there are good articles on the subject on Wikipedia. --CGE