FW: [Peace-discuss] Uncle Noam on the BBC

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Thu Nov 6 12:36:29 CST 2008

Subject: RE: [Peace-discuss] Uncle Noam on the BBC

>I think the Chomsky point is that it is a great opening moment for the
People and for organizers of people, a point also made by Naomi Klein (on
>October 29) who said, "Obama is a Centrist. It is up to us to move the
Center."  Even were he to be better than our fears, he cannot fail to
disappoint >because the size of the mess he steps into.

While I agree that this may be an opening and that if you move the center
Obama and other Centrists will probably follow, I think that the above
statements and statements like this tend to get Obama and his administration
as well as the Centrists in and out of Congress off the hook by shifting
responsibility for anything which does not change in a
progressive/reformist/liberal/leftist direction to the People rather than
placing the responsibility where it belongs on Obama and his supporters and
Administration.  I think the people who put their faith and hope in Obama as
the new opportunity for change should hold his feet to the fire for each and
every thing - big or little - that he does not do or does differently from
how he represented himself throughout the campaign, allowing for no excuses,
rationalizations for failures to do so.