[Peace-discuss] Bellicose rhetoric???

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 7 10:32:58 CST 2008

Neil complained to Mort regarding Mort's supposed "ad hominem attacks on
Carl, me and others." This is an odd comment, coming as a part of the
full-bore ad hominem attacks on Obama and liberals that Carl has been
carrying on for several years at least.

At the heart of this conflict seems to be a difference of opinion as to
whether the middle class and liberalism are the solution, or whether they
are, as Marx thought, the problem. Obama is being used as a proxy for this
difference of opinion, which is a waste of every ones time except for those
who wish to argue for argument's sake.

What you may miss, Neil, is that Mort does not care if you and Carl differ
with him on politics or politicians. What he cares about, I suspect he will
agree, is Carl's ongoing efforts to promote Carl's unusual analysis as the
consensus position of AWARE, which it most definitely is not.

Issue advocacy groups such as AWARE are effective only to the extent that
they put aside party and ideology and stick to the issues being advocated.

Let me pull out another Neil quote: "The very essence of puerility was not
allowing criticism of Obama in the buildup to the election by saying those
who held a consistent anti-war ethic somehow wanted McCain/Palin to win the
election.  It was intellectually lazy and the sticking of one's head in the
proverbial sand."

Of course there is nothing ad hominem here, right? I rest my case.

Bob