[Peace-discuss] Bellicose rhetoric???

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Sat Nov 8 11:06:43 CST 2008

An interesting and somewhat formalistic position.  I might agree that Carl's
analysis (despite what he may intend, wish, or promote)is not and does not
represent the consensus position of the group; but I do not think that
formally voting on and passing a motion or resolution necessarily represents
a consensus either in other than some official formalized sense.  One can
always question if a plurality - or even a majority - represents or makes
for a consensus; this is especially questionable and problematic if the
voting participants do not constitute all the membership but only in many
cases a small sampling of the active membership - not even the inactive
membership.

The point of noting this is to suggest that, since the group has very little
by way of official sanctions to back up and enforce its official consensuses
among its membership (and is not willing and cannot afford to expel or purge
dissenting members who reject the legitimacy of the official consensus), it
is a symbolic generalized consensus that masks dissent in the details And is
really not consensus at all in substance.  Hence, I question if AWARE
represents and/or presents a united front when it comes to the specifics as
opposed to an amalgamation of varying positions under a sysmbolic umbrella.

-----Original Message-----
From: peace-discuss-bounces at lists.chambana.net
[mailto:peace-discuss-bounces at lists.chambana.net] On Behalf Of Karen Medina
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2008 8:37 AM
To: Peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Bellicose rhetoric???

> Carl's ongoing efforts to promote Carl's unusual analysis as the
consensus position of AWARE

Bob's comment is hogwash.

Carl shares his analysis. People can take it, leave it, or argue it. Nobody
in their
right mind would take any one person's opinion as a consensus position
unless
passed as such. No one person's voice is the voice of AWARE whether it come
from
Bob Illyes, Mort Brussel, Carl Estabrook, Karen Medina, WEFT, AOTA, or
George W.
Bush (who would be welcome to join AWARE).

-karen medina