[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Now Obama's in, is anti-war anti-racism activism out?

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 05:40:10 CST 2008

Neil,
There's lots to say about both Bush and McCain that isn't all that obvious and that barely gets mentioned on peace-discuss -- they (unlike Obama) have pretty much gotten a pass on peace-discuss (more so here than in the MSM).

Re quoting what another person has said: There's a huge difference between an actual quote or honest paraphrase and a paraphrase designed to make the other person look a bad as possible, e g stating that a person who is pro-choice has said that she believes in killing babies (and then referring to her thereafter as The godless baby-killing alderwoman, etc). A parallel to that would be writing that Obama is on record as wanting to finish the job in Afghanistan, vs writing that Obama is on record as saying he wants to kill more Afghans, etc.

Bottom line: I'm sure we all see the difference betw the kind of criticism that comes from Zinn/Chomsky/Klein and the kind of criticism that comes from Limbaugh/O'Reilly/Coulter. The question is, do we in AWARE want to foster the former and discourage the latter?? I hope the answer is yes.  (And btw, I intend for this to be my last email on the subject!)

Re the "victory" quote:
Like you, Neil, I don't know who said, "Obama's win was a victory against racism but not a victory for the left," but I'd bet my life that it was a lefty white guy who is deep-down clueless about how racist this country is. Also, racism and politics/economics are inseparable, the former being largely a by-product of the latter, imho. And tho' I'd never use the word "victory," I hope we will see some lessening of racism, from both the fact of Obama's presidency AND as a result of movement to the left during- and because of Obama's presidency. How much or how permanent is another matter -- it's an uphill battle, and we definitely have our work cut out for us.
 --Jenifer