[Peace-discuss] The 2012 elections are coming up...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Nov 9 11:02:03 CST 2008

"Elections' being substituted for politics in the US" is so true that it's
almost un-understandable to many Americans, who've been taught that they're the
same thing.

The result, not just in the current administration -- altho' the trends are
clearer there -- is a strong tendency toward a plebiscitary dictatorship.

See now Dana D. Nelson. "Bad for Democracy: How the Presidency Undermines the
Power of the People" (U. Minn. Press, 2008), which "criticizes how voting for
president has been idealized as the central exercise of democratic rights in
America."  Also her "Presidential Power to the People,"
<www.utne.com/2008-09-01/Politics/Presidential-Power-to-the-People.aspx>.

--CGE