[Peace-discuss] Bellicose rhetoric???

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Nov 9 23:02:17 CST 2008

John--

I don't recognize the reflection in the mirror you hold up to my nature, and
that may be my error, of course, but I don't identify with any of the usual
forms of Idealism, unless you mean only that ethics and politics should be
guided by ideals in the sense of goals -- things one wants to do or accomplish
(and that's an Aristotelian point).

Instead of being an idealist Platonist, Cartesian, Kantian, or Hegelian -- I'd
prefer to identify myself with Aristotelian, Thomist, and Marxist materialism
(which I think by the way are more compatible with Christianity than the
Idealisms; announcing the resurrection is asserting a materialism over against
Pharisaic idealism...).

Putting aside these matters, which may be of interest only to you and me on this
list, I will say that I do on the contrary recognize your use of Realism: it was
classically set out by the American sociologist C. Wright Mills fifty years ago,
in "The Causes of World War Three," which seems to me presciently to describe
realism as promoted by Obama:

    "In crackpot realism," Mills wrote, "a high-flying moral rhetoric is joined
with an opportunist crawling among a great scatter of unfocused fears and
demands ... The expectation of war solves many problems of the crackpot realists
... instead of the unknown fear, the anxiety without end, some men [sic] of the
higher circles prefer the simplification of known catastrophe ... They know of
no solutions to the paradoxes of the Middle East and Europe, the Far East and
Africa except the landing of Marines ... they prefer the bright, clear problems
of war -- as they used to be. For they still believe that 'winning' means
something, although they never tell us what..."

That sort of realism seem to me Obamaism avant la lettre.

Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo.

Amen.  --CGE