[Peace-discuss] [Fwd: [ronpaul-207] "Compulsory universal service" for ages 18-25]

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Nov 10 09:27:01 CST 2008

I am not opposed to voluntary collectivism but forced collectivism
(conscription in peace time)
is not desirable and doesnt appear to be constitutional.  Individual
states could do it perhaps while those who dont like that could
depart to other free-er states.

E. Wayne Johnson wrote:
> [...]
>> transportation, etc.
>>
>> After the initial three months, such adequately-remunerated work may
>> be resumed
>> at any point of the citizen's choosing, and for as long as s/he may
>> wish.
>>
>> Such service shall include military service.
>>
>> The manner in which tasks are accomplished shall be determined
>> democratically by
>> those engaged in them.  Notably, labor may be withdrawn with no loss
>> of pay when
>> the task violates the conscience of the worker -- by, e.g.,
>> environmental
>> destruction, military devastation, etc.
>>
>> I'm sure you can think of other improvements.  I'm also sure that we
>> agree that
>> an anarchist society has to be a highly organized one.  (Anarchism
>> doesn't mean
>> no rules -- just no rulers.)
>>
>> Regards, CGE
>>

>> E. Wayne Johnson wrote:
>>>

>>> -------- Original Message -------- Subject:     [ronpaul-207]
>>> "Compulsory
>>> universal service" for ages 18-25 Date:     Sun, 9 Nov 2008 21:58:56
>>> -0500 From:
>>> Kurt Fiech <kfiech at hotmail.com> Reply-To:     ronpaul-207 at meetup.com
>>> To:
>>> ronpaul-207 at meetup.com
>>>

>>> Obama's chief of staff choice favors compulsory universal service
>>>
>>> Rep. Rahm Emanuel <http://www.house.gov/emanuel/photos.shtml> of
>>> Illinois,
>>> President-Elect Barack Obama's choice for chief of staff in his
>>> incoming
>>> administration, is co-author of a book, /The Plan: Big Ideas for
>>> America/ <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1586484125/>, that calls
>>> for, among other
>>> things, compulsory service for all Americans ages 18 to 25. The
>>> following
>>> excerpt is from pages 61-62 of the 2006 book:
>>>
>>> It's time for a real Patriot Act that brings out the patriot in all
>>> of us. We
>>> propose universal civilian service for every young American. Under
>>> this plan,
>>> All Americans between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five will be
>>> asked to
>>> serve their country by going through three months of basic training,
>>> civil
>>> defense preparation and community service. ... Here's how it would
>>> work.
>>> Young people will know that between the ages of eighteen and
>>> twenty-five, the
>>> nation will enlist them for three months of civilian service.
>>> They'll be
>>> asked to report for three months of basic civil defense training in
>>> their state or community, where they will learn what to do in the
>>> event of
>>> biochemical, nuclear or conventional attack; how to assist others in an
>>> evacuation; how to respond when a levee breaks or we're hit by a
>>> disaster. These young people will be available to address their