[Peace-discuss] Bellicose rhetoric???

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 10 16:35:53 CST 2008

That's true if we gloss "invented" in its original sense, = find, discover
(Latin in- 'upon' + venire 'come').

A passage from my ghostly father (i.e., theological mentor):

     "Yahweh is the God of freedom and there are to be no other gods. 'The
prohibition of "other gods" is the basic demand made of Israel'. The important
thing is not just to be religious, to worship something somehow. The important
thing is to find, or be found by, the right God and to reject and struggle
against the others. The worship of any other god is a form of slavery; to pay
homage to the forces of nature, to the spirit of a particular place, to a nation
or race or to anything that is too powerful for you to understand or control is
to submit to slavery and degradation. The Old Testament religion begins by
saying to such gods ‘I do not believe and I will not serve.’ The only true God
is the God of freedom. The other gods make you feel at home in a place, they
have to do with the quiet cycle of the seasons, with the familiar mountains and
the county you grew up in and love; with them you know where you are. But the
harsh God of freedom calls you out of all this into a desert where all the old
familiar landmarks are gone, where you cannot rely on the safe workings of
nature, on spring-time and harvest, where you must wander over the wilderness
waiting for what God will bring. This God of freedom will allow you none of the
comforts of religion. Not only does he tear you away from the old traditional
shrines and temples of your native place, but he will not even allow you to
worship him in the old way. You are forbidden to make an image of him by which
you might wield numinous power, you are forbidden to invoke his name in magical
rites. You must deny the other gods and you must not treat Yahweh as a god, as a
power you could use against your enemies or to help you to succeed in life.
Yahweh is not a god, there are no gods, they are all delusions and slavery. You
are not to try to comprehend God within the conventions and symbols of your time
and place; you are to have no image of God because the only image of God is
man."   --Herbert McCabe OP, "Law Love, and Language" (1968), pp. 118f.