[Peace-discuss] Bellicose rhetoric???

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 10 18:45:10 CST 2008

(I mis-cited the second reference.)

The point is the meaning of the "image of God." Along with the first commandment
-- no gods --  and its elaboration ("You shall not make for yourself an idol,
whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth
beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them
or worship them...) they explain McCabe's summary, "...you are to have no image
of God because the only image of God is [humanity]."

Gen 1:26f. =
     "Then God said, 'Let us make humankind in our image, according to our
likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the
birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the
earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.'  So God
created humankind in his image, in the image of God he created them; male and
female he created them."

Mt 22:19ff. =
     "'Show me the coin used for the tax.’ And they brought him a denarius. Then
he said to them, ‘Whose head is this, and whose title?’ They answered, ‘The
emperor’s.’ Then he said to them, ‘Give therefore to the emperor the things that
are the emperor’s [= have the emperor's image], and to God the things that are
God’s [= have God's image].’ When they heard this, they were amazed; and they
left him and went away."