FW: [Peace-discuss] Obama & Media Reform

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 13:45:24 CST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:20 AM, LAURIE SOLOMON <LAURIE at advancenet.net>wrote:

>  While that is the case that I have not studied contract law, I am
> interested in how contract law would prevent such a legal action from being
> brought.  I am willing to accept that practically speaking it would probably
> get nowhere and one would be hard pressed to find a lawyer or court willing
> to accept such a case.  My suspicions are that you are probably referring to
> the fact that verbal contracts have little effective standing in the courts
> in contrast to written contracts, that the candidates never formally signed,
> affirmed, or confirmed a contractual agreement, and that there was no direct
> and explicit quid pro quo involved in which both parties got something of
> value in the contractual transaction (otherwise it would be buying votes
> which is illegal).

All of the above.  Plus a contract, verbal or written, requires a specific
"meeting of the minds" between two or more identifiable parties (not
political parties, but parties to the contract).  If a political candidate
makes a campaign "promise", who would be the other contracting party, and
how would you determine that there had been a meeting of the minds?

That's why you'd be hard pressed to find a lawyer or court willing to accept
such a case.  Politics simply doesn't lend itself to the principles of
contract law.

Another interesting legal theory, which also wouldn't fly, would be
"political malpractice".  Have you ever wondered why there is provision in
our law for medical malpractice but not for "educational malpractice"?

John