[Peace-discuss] Re: [Discuss] new free clinic / potential ally

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat Nov 15 00:17:19 CST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 09:23:28PM -0600, unionyes wrote:
> Stuart,
>
> I would like to announce this on the Labor Hour tomorrow.

That's great!!   Though you probably won't be able to get a full story
that quickly -- see below.

> I went to the web-site and they have NO phone number nor do they have an
> ADDRESS.

Sure enough their web site is skeletal.

I don't know what state their health services are in, or what hours or
what days each week they offer them, or anything like that.

There is an address, as I mentioned below -- not listed on their
web site, but heard from Grant Reed who mentioned that it's the same
dentists' offices as the Christian health clinic has recently moved into.
That seems to be, assuming the DI got it right:

     507 S. 2nd St. (2nd & Springfield) in Champaign.

The only contact I have is Reed himself, the premed student who is the
president of the Illini Medical Screening Society (UofI student organization):

    Grant Reed <gmreed2 at illinois.edu>

I don't know a phone number for Grant, but he replied pretty quickly
when I e-mailed him on election night.

He should at least be able to say what the state of things is,
whether there is a phone number, how people get served, etc.
Maybe you could even do an interview with him.  He seemed like
an energetic & engaging guy.

He should also be able to point you at people to talk with on the
Hope Community Health Center side, like the doctor(s) involved with
that clinic.  (His own group, as premed students, can do other stuff
but can't practice medicine.)

In short: I think it'd be a great thing to announce this on Labor Hour,
but probably best to talk with them first to settle some of the above,
so maybe not for tomorrow's show unless you reach Grant or others quickly.