[Peace-discuss] An article of interest

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 13:50:08 CST 2008

I apologize that I haven't been keeping up with much of this discussion.  AWARE members are nothing if not prolific!

But I have to point out - we've mentioned it before here - that the alleged domination of AIPAC over US policy in the Middle East is a myth.  When US rulers' objectives and AIPAC objectives coincide, the two may be able to work together; when the objectives conflict, the parties part ways. And like most myths, this one doubles as a fig leaf.  That is, it is convenient in the extreme for US interests in a major oil-producing region to appear to result from a formerly oppressed minority, Holocaust survivors, or Zionist world bankers, depending on the audience.

And, just to follow through on related question, why would the US need Middle East oil so badly as to waste so much money, so many lives, so much political capital on controlling it?  The answer depends on who you mean by "US."  The domestic population *doesn't* need Middle East oil that badly, and the economy doesn't either - at least not directly.  We could spend the money on developing alternative fuels instead of wars, etc.  We could raise fuel efficiency standards (easily: my 1973 Beetle got better gas mileage than my 1997 Plymouth, hands down), maybe even enough to rely entirely on non-Mid-East oil (there's a lot of it).  But even if not, we could more easily afford to pay OPEC's dream prices than to fight an endless "war on terrorism," or whatever we call it next.  We could invest that money in public transportation ... so many other things, right?

But we have a need, as the last remaining superpower, to control everyone *else's* oil - to brook no challenges to our agenda.  That's why we need Israel.  That's why we've been 'mired' in Afghanistan and Pakistan, off and on, since the 70s.  Etc.  Not at all original, but that's how I see it.

Just thought I'd chime in.
 Ricky

"Only those who do nothing make no mistakes." - Peter Kropotkin