[Peace-discuss] Re: Frontline, Venezuela

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 00:04:11 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Jenifer Cartwright <jencart13 at yahoo.com>wrote:

Whoa, I want to be able to say more about the PUBLIC Broadcasting System
> than that "it can't be all bad." As for Nightline, I've watched it only a
> couple of times because I forget about it, plus I personally cannot STAND
> Terry Moran.

Frontline and Nightline are not the same show, nor are they on the same
channel.  Nightline comes on every weekday evening at 11:00 PM on ABC.
That's the one with Terry Moran et al., formerly hosted by Ted Koppel.  And
it IS pretty fluffy.  Frontline airs documentaries periodically on PBS.

> As for objectivity, I keep hearing talking heads (including those on PBS)
> mention Chavez' having "lost an election last year," which is NOT true -- a
> referendum that would remove term limits from holding the office of
> president failed. Period. And (of course) Chavez and his supporters accepted
> it (as would a US president or NYC governor, right??)

Yes.  But not, for example, Robert Mugabe.  That's precisely the point.

>  Okay, "The Hugo Chavez Show" (a rather insulting title, don't you think??)

It's based on the man's own television show that he has in Venezuela.

> is starting now, and we'll see just how fair and balanced it is. Btw, it's
> repeated at 3a Thursday, so set yr VCRs before you go to bed on Wednesday if
> you wanna weigh in on this.

Yes.  I dozed through tonight's Frontline but did manage to record it.
Hahahaha!