[Peace-discuss] Re: Frontline, Venezuela

unionyes unionyes at ameritech.net
Wed Nov 26 06:08:43 CST 2008

I watched the Frontline episode last night about Hugo Chavez.

The link to a Counterpunch article that either David Green or Jenifer provided is a very good critique of this Frontline piece.
I read the Counterpunch article AFTER I watched the Frontline piece.

What was most blatant in the filmmaker's bias, was the almost total lack of info about the coup against Chavez, in particular the role that RCTV played and the DOCUMENTED involvement of the CIA, which they poo pooed as a " rumour ".
Also the lack and distortion of info about the so called " Oil Workers Strike ", which I wrote about in the last issue of the Industrial Worker Newspaper, which if you are interested you can view on line at www.iww.org .

I will say that the Frontline filmmaker did show some legitimate flaws about Venezuela and Chavez, which even the staunchest fans of Chavez should not discount.
However, the most effective propoganda is " gray " propoganda, that is truth mixed with lies to create a distorted view.

I would highly recommend seeing the film ; " The Revolution Will Not Be Televised ", an award winning film done by two NON-CORPORATE / independent Irish filmmakers, who went to Venezuela right before the coup to do a film about Chavez and Venezuela, and unexpectedly got caught-up in the events of the coup as it happened and filmed it LIVE !
Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

I use to watch Frontline all the time during the late 70's - late 80's.
It use to be a very good and objective program.
I stopped watching it during the late 80's because it became less objective and more corporate biased as Reagan continuously slashed funding for Public Television and Radio, making it almost totally dependent on corporate sponsors and appointing right-wing idealogues to the PBS national Board.

David J.

David Johnson