[Peace-discuss] A prisoner in Texas was recently promised freedom if he did what?

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 13:06:49 CST 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Karen Medina <kmedina at illinois.edu> wrote:

Today's "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!" Daily News Quiz question is:
> A prisoner in Texas was recently promised freedom if he did what?
>
> "What we have here is a failure to communicate: A city jailer in Denton,
> Texas,
> recently told a detainee that he would be immediately released if he did
> what?
> A) Performed a belly dance
> B) Voted for John McCain
> C) Egged a city supervisor's house
> D) Ate six saltines in one minute without drinking water
>

> ---- the answer is below ------
>

> Voted for John McCain
> On Nov. 4, Denton jail employee Chris Saunier locked up Aruto Ntel, who had
> been stopped for speeding and brought in on an existing warrant. Saunier
> allegedly dangled the keys in Ntel's face and told him he would be released
> if
> voted for John McCain for president. Sadly for Saunier, Ntel simply waited
> for
> bail, then headed to the voting booth -- where he voted for Barack Obama.
>
> Nevertheless, exit polls showed that McCain performed strongly with Denton
> voters who listed "being released from jail" as their top issue in the
> election.

The last sentence, about the exit polls, is surely a joke.

Denton jail employee Chris Saunier's actions would seem to be illegal.

I can actually eat six Saltines without drinking any water.  But it's
tough.  And I'm not sure I can do it in one minute.

John