[Peace-discuss] Happy Thanksgiving

unionyes unionyes at ameritech.net
Thu Nov 27 07:32:03 CST 2008

Although the real history of Thankgiving in the U.S. is a propoganda myth, which covers-up the real history of genocide against native Americans.

I never the less feel that because of it's " spirit " of practice, that is, being thankful for what one has ( although for some it may not be much of anything ) like ; One's health, family, good friends, etc.. And most importently the " spirit " of sharing a meal with friends and family, as well as the tradition in this society of making certain that everyone is fed on Thanksgiving ( although many could care less the rest of the year, except for XMas ).

And because of the above practice in this society, I feel that WE need to co-opt the holiday for ourselves ( A People's Thanksgiving ). That is, celebrate that " spirit "  and expand it as much as possible throughout the year.

All of us in the C-U progressive community try to do this in some manner already, so in light of this fact, I want to conclude by stating that, although we may have our differences at times in terms of tactics, perspectives, etc.., which at times can turn into anger and hard feelings via disagreements.
WE still all have the same essential objective of trying to make C-U, U.S. society, and the World a better place for everyone.

So in that vein, I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving !

David Johnson