[Peace-discuss] flyer for Main event -- backside part two

Karen Medina kmedina at illinois.edu
Fri Oct 3 16:39:51 CDT 2008

Illinois National Guard Troops are On Their Way to Afghanistan.
* The largest deployment of Illinois National Guard since World War II.
* 2,700 soldiers shipped out over the past week. About 200 of the Illinois
brigade's soldiers were already in Afghanistan in early September. Two died
September 17 in a roadside-bomb attack. The rest are at Fort Bragg in North
Carolina and Fort Riley in Kansas, and should be in Afghanistan by the
beginning of next year.
* The Illinois National Guard will help train the Afghan national police force.
* They will be in Afghanistan for 10 months.
* Violence in Afghanistan is up about 30 percent in 2008 over 2007.
* More American soldiers - 112 - have died in Afghanistan so far this year than
in any year since the 2001 invasion.
* Sexual abuse is rampant in the military. Males, as well as females, are victims.
* Veterans make up almost 25% of the homeless population in the United States.
The government says there are as many as 200,000 homeless veterans; About
2,000 served in Iraq or Afghanistan.
* 28% of all veterans experience mental health problems. More Iraq and
Afghanistan veterans suffer post-traumatic stress disorder than veterans of
previous wars. The government says PTSD is one of the leading causes of
homelessness among veterans.
* Veterans commit suicide at the rate of between 18.7 to 20.8 per 100,000,
compared to other Americans, who did so at the rate of 8.9 per 100,000.
* Veterans aged 20 through 24, those who have served during the war on terror,
have the highest suicide rate among all veterans -- between 22.9 and 31.9 per
100,000.
* Composition of the Illinois National Guard, Urbana Brigade: Aurora,
Bloomington, Carbondale, Champaign, Chicago, Crestwood, Dixon, Effingham,
Elgin, Galva, Kankakee, Kewanee, Litchfield, Machesney Park, Marion, Marseilles,
Mattoon, Mount Vernon, Pontiac, Salem, Springfield, Sycamore, Urbana, West
Frankfort, and Woodstock Illinois.