[Peace-discuss] stock injection option in the bailout?

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 4 17:37:09 CDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 04, 2008 at 01:29:50PM -0700, Ricky Baldwin wrote:
> Heard the suggestion this a.m. on npr that the final bailout bill includes a
> "stock injection plan" option, whereby for taxpayer money the government
> would get preferred shares in the banks we bail out - as opposed to nothing.
> Do we know if this is true, or if it's worth pushing for now that the bill
> has passed?

Mention of that was also in this week's This American Life, which did a special
program on the bailout and the misregulation that led up to needing it.

They had the impression that the stock-injection option had been slipped into the
bill -- they did not even know who had done it -- but they did think that it
survived the Senate and House votes, as an option which the Treasury Sec'y could exercise.

It sounds like a Very Good Thing for us to support that!!