[Peace-discuss] Candidates of the destructive rich

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 8 13:42:16 CDT 2008

[David Cay Johnston, commenting on the debate in Nashville on Democracy Now this
morning. He was an investigative journalist for the Times & won a Pulitzer Prize
for his coverage of the tax system.]

[Obama & McCain on taxes:] Meaningless marginalism and economic fantasy that
Lewis Carroll, had he been an economist, could have written. The fact is that we
were promised in 1980 by Ronald Reagan: “Elect me, and I’ll get you very quickly
to balanced budgets.” Instead, we have four times the amount of government debt
that we had back in 1980.

The taxes that Americans have paid in advance for Social Security benefits in
the future were spent, principally to finance tax cuts for the wealthiest
Americans. Right now, with the bailout in effect next year, the equivalent of
all the income taxes that you pay in January, February, March, April and a good
chunk of May just go to pay interest on the national debt -- and that money goes
to China, foreign sovereign funds, wealthy individuals, insurance companies. It
is a transfer from working people to those who are already wealthy.

The idea that we can cut [?] our way out of this is just absurd. And let me give
you a little example of this: I spent six weeks in Europe this year talking to
ordinary people in twelve countries -— rural Slovakia, Scandinavia, elsewhere -—
and about their economics and their finances. In Sweden, you are three times
more likely to own a boat than you are in America. You’re much more likely to
own a home free and clear. In fact, I walked up to a gaggle of bus drivers in
Stockholm, and it turned out every one of them owned two houses -— a city house
or apartment and a country home -— and every one of them owned them free and
clear. What are the odds in the American economy that you could find a dozen bus
drivers anywhere who owned one house free and clear?

There is a fundamental flaw in the economic theory that we have been operating
on for years. And that theory doesn’t address what matters, what you spend your
tax dollars on. We are not spending our tax dollars on greasing the wheels of
commerce, building a stable society, educating people and removing the shocks
from things like accidents and disease. We are spending it on income transfers
to the rich, on war, on interest on the national debt. And it’s impoverishing us
steadily. Neither one of these presidential candidates is addressing the need
for fundamental reform to build a sound economy that will take us into the future.

	###