[Peace-discuss] What the Debate Missed on Afghanistan: Brits Say Talk to Taliban

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 15:18:17 CDT 2008

We sent this alert out today in response to the debate and the anniversary.

-----------------

October 7 marked the seventh anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan.

Our British allies are telling us that there is no military solution,
that there must be a political solution, and that there should be
talks with the Taliban. It would be a step forward for U.S. policy if
the Presidential candidates would acknowledge this reality in the next
Presidential debate on October 15.

Can you join us in asking the Presidential candidates and debate
moderator Bob Schieffer to acknowledge that the British say there must
be a political solution, and that there should be talks with the
Taliban?

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/involved/afghanreality.html

The top British military commander in Afghanistan says, "We're not
going to win this war," and "If the Taliban were prepared to sit on
the other side of the table and talk about a political settlement,
then that's precisely the sort of progress that concludes insurgencies
like this." [1] The British government supported the commander's
statements: a spokesman said the UK's ministry of defense "did not
have a problem" with warning the UK public not to expect a "decisive
military victory" and to prepare instead for a possible deal with the
Taliban. [2]

Meetings between Taliban representatives and Afghan government
officials took place recently in Saudi Arabia. [3]

Defense Secretary Gates made partially supportive remarks. Gates
endorsed efforts to reach out to members of the Taliban or other
militants in Afghanistan who may be considered reconcilable, much like
what has happened in Iraq. [4]

But what Gates didn't acknowledge was the need to bring in people at a
higher level than individual fighters, which would likely involve
political accommodation. In Iraq after 2006 the U.S. brought in
leaders, and made accommodation for groups with political demands,
such as integration into the Iraqi army.

Some may wish to postpone confronting the uncomfortable reality of
Afghanistan until after the election. But the danger is that the
candidates will lock us into a policy of military escalation, which
without a new political strategy, is almost certainly doomed to fail.
That would mean more needless American and Afghan deaths before we
accommodate reality. Why not begin accommodating reality now, and
avoid the needless deaths?

Please join us in asking the Presidential candidates and debate
moderator Bob Schieffer to acknowledge reality in Afghanistan.

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/involved/afghanreality.html

Thanks for all you do in support of a Just Foreign Policy,

Robert Naiman, Chelsea Mozen, and Sarah Burns,
Just Foreign Policy

Please support our work. We're funded by people like you. Our small
staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. You can
contribute here:

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate.html

commander," Richard Norton-Taylor, The Guardian, October 6, 2008.
[2] "Britain risks US rift in war against Taliban," Jimmy Burns and
Daniel Dombey, Financial Times, October 6, 2008.
[3] "Source: Saudi hosts Afghan peace talks with Taliban reps," Nic
Robertson, CNN, October 5, 2008.
[4] "Gates: Afghan militants key to country's future," Lolita C.
Baldor, Associated Press, October 6, 2008.

--
Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Ambassador Pickering on Iran Talks and Multinational Enrichment
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGZFrFxVg8A