[Peace-discuss] What the Debate Missed on Afghanistan: Brits Say Talk to Taliban

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 08:16:18 CDT 2008

Petraeus said something quite reasonable.

>From the JFP News yesterday: 'Gen. Petraeus said negotiations with
some members of the Taliban could provide a way to reduce violence in
sections of Afghanistan, Reuters reports. The British commander in
Afghanistan had told the Sunday Times negotiations with the Taliban
could bring needed progress. Asked about those remarks, Petraeus noted
that Britain's long experience negotiating with adversaries helped
reduce violence in Iraq. "They've sat down with thugs throughout their
history, including us in our early days, I suspect," he said.'

I think the antiwar.com piece is wrong about there not being any sign
of Taliban interest. It's true that their public proclamations in
response to Karzai's appeals have been hostile. But there was the
meeting in Saudi Arabia, which Karzai's brother attended according to
some reports; Omar's statements that the Taliban is no longer alled
with al Qaeda; Taliban observance of the UN Day of Peace; Taliban
agreement not to attack humanitarian convoys if Taliban commanders are
contacted in advance.

"Seek peace and pursue it."

--
Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Ambassador Pickering on Iran Talks and Multinational Enrichment
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGZFrFxVg8A