[Peace-discuss] What the Debate Missed on Afghanistan: Brits Say Talk to Taliban

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 9 11:09:28 CDT 2008

Petraeus is of course an instrument of American murder in the Middle East --
done in the interests of the small group who own this country -- and therefore
certainly a thug.

But of course the thuggishness of the leaders of the American revolution is hard
to deny. An example that recently came to my notice were some comments on the
post-war demands of Daniel Shays' veterans, who so frightened the upper classes
that they wrote the anti-democratic constitution of 1787 with a central
executive to keep the lower orders in their place:

   --Samuel Adams said that the economic protests were the result of British
emissaries acting as outside agitators; he helped draw up a Riot Act, and a
resolution suspending habeas corpus, arguing that rebellion in a republic,
unlike in a monarchy, should be punished with the death penalty.

   --Abigail Adams (Sam's cousin-in-law) applauded the military force that put
down the rebellion, because "Ignorant, restless desperadoes, without conscience
or principles have led a deluded multitude to follow their standard, under
pretense of grievances which have no existence but in their imaginations..."

CGE