[Peace-discuss] I can find 1000 Americans who think that the US should talk to the Taliban

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 14:03:36 CDT 2008

Just Foreign Policy did an alert this week based on the simple
proposal that the Presidential candidates should acknowledge that the
British government is saying that there should be talks with the
Taliban. A pretty modest proposal. Defense Secretary Gates
acknowledged it, and made moderately supportive comments. So did
General Petraeus.

I can't remember a time when we had such a low response on an alert. I
strongly suspect that part of the reason is that the Taliban have been
so demonized in US political discourse that even people who are
pro-peace have a hard time thinking about the question rationally.

So, of course, this just made me more determined to try to think of
ways to inject this basic idea into the national political discourse.

I just created a group on Facebook. The name of the group is:

"I can find 1000 Americans who think the US should talk to the Taliban"

and the link is:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=29038373969

If you are on Facebook, please sign up and spread. The sole purpose of
the group is to add to the tally, and to create a space for people to
state what should be obvious.

--
Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Ambassador Pickering on Iran Talks and Multinational Enrichment
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGZFrFxVg8A