[Peace-discuss] Gates Says Talks with Taliban "Conceivable" - Let's Get Started

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 13:56:45 CDT 2008

Defense Secretary Gates said Thursday that the U.S. could "ultimately"
contemplate the idea of negotiating with the Taliban to secure a
political settlement in Afghanistan, if the Afghan government were to
pursue such talks, the Financial Times reports. Gates said a political
settlement with the Taliban was "conceivable."

"There has to be ultimately, and I'll underscore ultimately,
reconciliation as part of a political outcome to this," Gates said.

Eventually, Gates seems to be saying, we're going to have to talk to
the Taliban. But not yet. If this is where we're going, why not get
started now?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/gates-says-talks-with-tal_b_133994.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/12/144740/73/59/628457

--
Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Ambassador Pickering on Iran Talks and Multinational Enrichment
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGZFrFxVg8A