[Peace-discuss] Fear McCain…

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Oct 12 23:51:02 CDT 2008

[I posted this interview in its entirety, but the following section is worth
repeating while the obvious is being vigorously belabored in re McCain. --CGE]

October 13, 2008

NOAM Chomsky speaks to the German magazine Der Spiegel about Europe's Barack
Obama delusions.

Spiegel: Change is the slogan of this year's presidential election. Do you see
any chance for an immediate, tangible change in the US? Or, to use use Obama's
battle cry: Are you fired up?

Chomsky: Not in the least. The European reaction to Obama is a European delusion.

Spiegel: But he does say things that Europe has long been waiting for. He talks
about the trans-Atlantic partnership, the priority of diplomacy and the
reconciling of American society.

Chomsky: That is all rhetoric. Who cares about that? This whole election
campaign deals with soaring rhetoric, hope, change, all sorts of things, but not
with issues.

Spiegel: Is there nothing about McCain that appeals to you?

Chomsky: In one aspect he is more honest than his opponent. He explicitly states
that this election is not about issues but about personalities. The Democrats
are not quite as honest, even though they see it the same way.

Spiegel: So for you, Republicans and Democrats represent just slight variations
of the same political platform?

Chomsky: Of course there are differences, but they are not fundamental. Nobody
should have any illusions. The US has essentially a one-party system and the
ruling party is the business party.