[Peace-discuss] Bush-Obama terrorism???

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 13 15:41:39 CDT 2008

I've skimmed through the comments, including Mort's recent response to
Neil. Perhaps the most amazing is Carl's "With Obama in charge, there will
be even more babies who will take no more steps. I'm not sure how his
apologists can sleep." Carl claimed at a recent AWARE meeting that it was
hard to tell the difference between theories and facts, so I guess his
statement should be no surprise.

We have a retired fighter pilot from a military family (like Carl in the
latter respect) running against Obama, who spent part of his youth working
on social justice instead of doing God-knows-what in the skies over North
Vietnam. The list of differences is much longer than this, Neil's statement
to the contrary.

In addition to a fondness for big sticks, McCain believes that the
invisible hand of the free market will do the right thing, if we get rid of
a few bad apples. This is the sort of thinking that Soros points out has a
lot in common with Marxism, which represents that the hidden hand of
Hegel's dialectic will enable the Revolution to mysteriously make things right.

It astonishes me that some people on this list keep trying to paint Obama
as authoritarian left. This makes it easy to refute him, since it does not
describe him. His views are explicitly and deliberately centrist.

If you think that nearly unrestrained neoliberalism and always being tough
are the way to go, McCain is your man. If you have your doubts about both
of these and think that we should be paying more attention to the middle
class, Obama is your man. If you can't tell the difference, please check
your owner's manual for the location of your reset button.

Incidentally, Krugman got the Nobel Prize today!

Bob