[Peace-discuss] Pentagon Challenge: Ask Iraqis How Many Have Died

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 06:42:56 CDT 2008

Les Roberts et al from Johns Hopkins did a study (the "Lancet study")
which was dismissed by the Administration.

You don't seem to appreciate that the question of the Iraqi death toll
is special. There are a lot of bad things that have happened. Many of
them are openly acknowledged.

So, for example, many articles have appeared in the mainstream press
about the flood of refugees to Jordan and Syria. These articles
regularly cite UN and other estimates of the refugee flow. There is
essentially no dispute about the scale.

So, the issue of refugees is tremendously important, and if you were
going to ask questions to try to understand what's going on in Iraq,
that's something you might ask about, and if you asked about it, you'd
learn more about it, and that would be good.

But it's not urgent to do so, because we already have estimates of the
refugee flow which are not disputed.

In contrast, when the scale of death in Iraq since 2003 is mentioned
at all - which is rarely - one still sees the Iraq Body Count tally
invoked as if it were an estimate of overall Iraqi deaths. This leads
to an estimate that is 1/10 of what the Lancet Study would suggest.

If the Pentagon - the US government - were required to collect data
that formed the basis of an estimate, and if that estimate were an
order of magnitude higher than the Iraq Body Count tally, that would
settle the question, forever.

And how many Iraqis have died is an important thing to know.

You're right that the Pentagon is already doing surveys, and could ask
that question now. But from the point of view of Congressional
intervention, the point of leverage is a new program.

naiman at justforeignpolicy.org