FW: [Peace-discuss] Populace to left of parties, government [update]

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Wed Oct 15 17:10:26 CDT 2008

Subject: RE: [Peace-discuss] Populace to left of parties, government
[update]

Being the cynic and skeptic that I am, I have to wonder if one were to
screen out the current economic situation (i.e., crisis) how much higher
would the percentage of Amerikans who say they are otherwise satisfied with
the way things are going (notice we are talking about being satisfied with
it not necessarily liking it).  The economic crises obviously effects the
middle classes directly and in their pocketbooks more than it does the poor,
so the middle classes would find it not in their vested interests to accept
the way things are going economically and would complain about it more than
they would about events, policies, or crises that only indirectly impact on
their life styles in immediate and significant ways.  Of course, we do have
to acknowledge that we have no real operational definition of the range of
things that define "middle class" and who belongs to it as distinct from
other classes - especially "working class."  Most people defined as being
working class or who identify themselves as being such often desire to be
middle class, promote and value middle class norms, values, goals, and
ideological socio-cultural mores and beliefs, including some of the biases
and discriminatory behaviors and reactions to the underclasses and poor,
immigrants and minorities who they may see themselves in competition with in
the quest for middle class life styles and upward mobility into secure
middle-middle class statuses.