[Peace-discuss] The money was there all along

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 16 12:21:42 CDT 2008

Actually, John, we don't have to borrow it. We can also "print" it, with a
little stealth help from the Federal Reserve. The usual image of Treasury
printing more bills is not the way it is routinely done.

The problem with printing extra money in any manner is that it tends to
produce general inflation in the long run. It is favored by politicians who
aren't willing to raise takes. In the short run, they can have their cake
and eat it too, like the "investment banks", which had their own
non-governmental money printing presses.

Bob