[Peace-discuss] Re: Obama's AfPak war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 17 10:47:30 CDT 2008

[From Nir Rosen, "How We Lost the War We Won: A Journey Into Taliban-Controlled
Afghanistan," Rolling Stone, Issue 1064 (October 30, 2008). --CGE]

...it is foolhardy to believe that the Americans can prevail where the Russians
failed. At the height of the occupation, the Soviets had 120,000 of their own
troops in Afghanistan, buttressed by roughly 300,000 Afghan troops. The
Americans and their allies, by contrast, have 65,000 troops on the ground,
backed up by only 137,000 Afghan security forces — and they face a Taliban who
enjoy the support of a well-funded and highly organized network of Islamic
extremists. "The end for the Americans will be just like for the Russians," says
a former commander who served in the Taliban government. "The Americans will
never succeed in containing the conflict. There will be more bleeding. It's
coming to the same situation as it did for the communist forces, who found
themselves confined to the provincial capitals."

Simply put, it is too late for Bush's "quiet surge" — or even for Barack Obama's
plan for a more robust reinforcement — to work in Afghanistan. More soldiers on
the ground will only lead to more contact with the enemy, and more air support
for troops will only lead to more civilian casualties that will alienate even
more Afghans. Sooner or later, the American government will be forced to the
negotiating table, just as the Soviets were before them.

"The rise of the Taliban insurgency is not likely to be reversed," says
Abdulkader Sinno, a Middle East scholar and the author of Organizations at War
in Afghanistan and Beyond. "It will only get stronger. Many local leaders who
are sitting on the fence right now — or are even nominally allied with the
government — are likely to shift their support to the Taliban in the coming
years. What's more, the direct U.S. military involvement in Afghanistan is now
likely to spill over into Pakistan. It may be tempting to attack the safe havens
of the Taliban and Al Qaeda across the border, but that will only produce a
worst-case scenario for the United States. Attacks by the U.S. would attract the
support of hundreds of millions of Muslims in South Asia. It would also break up
Pakistan, leading to a civil war, the collapse of its military and the possible
unleashing of its nuclear arsenal."

In the same speech in which he promised a surge, Bush vowed that he would never
allow the Taliban to return to power in Afghanistan. But they have already
returned, and only negotiation with them can bring any hope of stability. Iraq,
Afghanistan and Pakistan "are all theaters in the same overall struggle," the
president declared, linking his administration's three greatest foreign-policy
disasters in one broad vision. In the end, Bush said, we must have "faith in the
power of freedom."

But the Taliban have their own faith, and so far, they are winning. On my last
day in Kabul, a Western aid official reminds me of the words of a high-ranking
Taliban leader, who recently explained why the United States will never prevail
in Afghanistan.

"You Westerners have your watches," the leader observed. "But we Taliban have time."

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/23612315/how_we_lost_the_war_we_won