[Peace-discuss] Truffles in the muck

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 18 17:17:02 CDT 2008

[I have my hesitations about The Nation, George Scialabba and a good bit of what
Gore Vidal writes, but these paragraphs from a current review highlight
important things that Vidal is saying and few others are.  --CGE]

	Civic Virtues: Gore Vidal's Selected Essays
	by GEORGE SCIALABBA

This article appeared in the October 27, 2008 edition of The Nation.

...My favorites among Vidal's essays, both included in this volume, are "Homage
to Daniel Shays" and "The Second American Revolution." Soon after the
Revolutionary War, the eternal tension between lenders and borrowers, the rich
and everyone else, came to a crisis in New England. Shays led thousands of small
farmers, many of them former soldiers in the revolutionary army who stood to
lose their land to creditors, in search of debt relief and tax relief. The rich
fought back, first militarily and then by writing a Constitution that imposed a
strong central government disproportionately weighted in favor of the propertied.

That Constitution has become the American Scripture, our political Holy Writ and
a chronic obstacle to popular initiative. Dissolving the mystique of the
Constitution and those who framed it, as well as that of the revered Federalist
Papers -- whose "general tone," Vidal accurately observes, "is that of a meeting
of the trust department of Sullivan and Cromwell" -- is essential to our civic
health. These two essays, along with Vidal's historical fiction, are powerful
dissolving agents.

Disabusing Americans about their government's international behavior is equally
essential. After a PEN benefit one night in the mid-1980s, Arthur Schlesinger
Jr. confided to his diary, "Gore gave a (relatively) polished talk about the
American empire, banal in content, cheap in tone, and delivered to the
accompaniment of smiles of vast self-satisfaction." Presumably it was the tone
Schlesinger objected to; his own self-satisfied banalities about the American
empire were always pronounced with reverence and gravitas.

Vidal's bête noire (and not surprisingly, Schlesinger's hero) was Harry Truman.
The National Security Act of 1947; the creation of the CIA, with its
unconstitutional exemption from Congressional scrutiny; the containment
doctrine, supposedly for defense against Soviet expansionism but promptly
invoked to justify the rearming of Germany and interventions in Greece,
Guatemala, Iran and elsewhere; the paranoid secret blueprint for the cold war,
NSC-68 -- all these Truman-era setbacks for democracy are described in "The
National Security State," along with a modest and sensible five-point program
that, decades later, still sounds like a very good way to begin reclaiming the
country.

It's not clear, though, to me and I suspect to Vidal, that American democracy
can be reclaimed, at least in the form of vigorous, Jeffersonian
self-government. (As Vidal points out with his customary sardonic relish,
Jefferson began selling out Jeffersonianism during his second term.) The reasons
are structural -- mass production and mass consumption may not leave enough room
for individual autonomy -- and clinical -- like muscles, intellectual and civic
virtues may atrophy beyond repair. No matter who is elected president this fall,
the country may become an ever more dispiriting place for a conservative-radical
aristocratic republican of Vidal's stamp...

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20081027/scialabba