[Peace-discuss] Why It's Time to Bannish "Average Joeism"

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 14:36:47 CDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM, David Green <davegreen84 at yahoo.com> wrote:

In my opinion, it's all about undermining any genuine, economic notion of
> class solidarity. When Biden, etc., presents himself as working class, it's
> only to trumpet Horatio Alger bootstrap values. It's a caricature of working
> class culture. And elites even caricature themselves (or each other), as
> effete rather than ruthless, an attempt to flatter what is perceived as
> working class earthiness while submerging genuine
> resentment; meanwhile deriding the notion that the comical arrogant elite
> could possibly conspire against the public interest. Both conservative and
> liberal pundits unite in fear that the response to Palin might carry with it
> some hint of populist solidarity, however dysfunctional. The elite reaction
> is not to the mob's anger against Arabs or Obama or Bill Ayers--it's to
> their anger, period, which should be the theater of Limbaugh and O'Reilly
> rather than spontaneously displayed at political rallies. All of the sudden,
> there's defensiveness about elites from both conservative and liberal
> pundits.
>
> Common people are supposed to be happy-go-lucky like the black guy in the
> Miller High Life ads--striking a blow for "common sense" by heisting cheap
> beer from expensive restaurants in full sight of a clueless French-looking
> waiter. That's Madison Avenue's kind of class warfare, in which the working
> class is defined by its right to drink cheap beer.

You talking about my friend Windell Middlebrooks?  He IS happy-go-lucky in
real life, as a matter of fact.  But the ads are dumb.  He's laughing all
the way to the bank.  I'll have to forward him this series of e-mails.  :-)

John W.