[Peace-discuss] a possible flier for the next Main Event

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 22 14:02:59 CDT 2008

ann h. wrote:
> 14 Points of fascism: The warning signs
> http://www.oldamericancentury.org/14pts.htm

Ann--

This might be a good place to start in a meeting discussion as we try to figure
out the shape of politics in the contemporary US, in order to oppose them.  But
I'm not sure it makes a good handout.

First, the US is not now a fascist state, except under a definition of fascism
that would be adventitious and unhistorical.  What we want to oppose is not so
much tendencies to fascism (altho' of course we would want to oppose them) as
the policies of this existing (non-fascist) government.

Second, altho' it may in the future be seen to be true that the US was tending
towards fascism in our day, making that the focus of our objection now may be
regarded as crying wolf.  Again, I'd rather work on making people aware that our
government is killing people around the world -- and exposing why, against their
lies.

We might say that out enemy is neoliberalism, not (at the moment) fascism,
because the latter doesn't exist (now), and the former surely does.  Bob
McChesney made the distinction in a piece a decade ago:

    Earlier in the twentieth century some critics called fascism "capitalism
with the gloves off," meaning that fascism was pure capitalism without
democratic rights and organizations. In fact, we know that fascism is vastly
more complex than that. Neoliberalism, on the other hand, is indeed "capitalism
with the gloves off." It represents an era in which business forces are stronger
and more aggressive, and face less organized opposition than ever before. In
this political climate they attempt to codify their political power and enact
their vision on every possible front. As a result, business is increasingly
difficult to challenge, and civil society (nonmarket, noncommercial, and
democratic forces) barely exists at all.

    It is precisely in its oppression of nonmarket forces that we see how
neoliberalism operates - not only as an economic system, but as a political and
cultural system as well. Here the differences with fascism, with its contempt
for formal democracy and highly mobilized social movements based upon racism and
nationalism, are striking.  Neoliberalism works best when there is formal
electoral democracy, but when the population is diverted from the information,
access, and public forums necessary for meaningful participation in
decision-making. As neoliberal guru Milton Friedman put it in Capitalism and
Freedom, because profitmaking is the essence of democracy, any government that
pursues antimarket policies is being antidemocratic, no matter how much informed
popular support they might enjoy. Therefore it is best to restrict governments
to the job of protecting private property and enforcing contracts, and to limit
political debate to minor issues. (The real matters of resource production and
distribution and social organization should be determined by market forces.)

--CGE