[Peace-discuss] a possible flier for the next Main Event

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Wed Oct 22 14:08:39 CDT 2008

While I am all for heaping tonnes of calumny and reflective ill will
upon the neocons who dominate and characterize the GOP,
the partisan slanted rhetoric & agenda of the POAC is not going to be of
much use in protecting us
against the likely similar abuses under the similarly authoritarian,
similarly imperialist/interventionist
policies of the New Regime greeting us in early 2009.

The POAC in my opinion tends to be divisive/cohesive/sectarian amusement
rather than persuasive/coalition building/outreaching and thought provoking.
I do love and enjoy POAC's posters, and I might own and display a few if
we didnt have small children.

Naomi Wolf correctly and astutely points out that future presidents will
naturally follow GWBush's precedent and
be unwilling to surrender the massive accretion of executive power.
Unless we work pretty hard to turn the tide.

I personally would prefer, and I imagine that we can be more effective
in strengthening the anti-war anti-racism efforts
with the rather non-partisan coalition-building approach suggested by
Naomi Wolf, using her 10 points which are
timeless and applicable, no matter which stupid and evil gang of
bi-partisan elitists is calling the shots and pulling on our strings.

Maybe something can be constructed from this
(Fascist America, in 10 easy steps)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/apr/24/usa.comment

or from this----

(from Wikipaedia):

      /The End of America/

In /The End of America: A Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_of_America:_A_Letter_of_Warning_to_a_Young_Patriot>
(2007),/ Wolf takes a historical look at the rise of Fascism, outlining
the 10 steps necessary for a Fascistic group (or government) to destroy
the democratic character of a nation-state and subvert the
social/political liberty previously exercised by its citizens:

   1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_fear>.
   2. Create secret prisons <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulag> where
      torture takes place.
   3. Develop a thug caste <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caste> or
      paramilitary force
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_military_company> not
      answerable to citizens.
   4. Set up an internal surveillance
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_surveillance> system.
   5. Harass citizens' groups <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_sphere>.
   6. Engage in arbitrary detention
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrary_arrest_and_detention> and
      release.
   7. Target key individuals <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purge>.
   8. Control the press <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_the_press>.
   9. Treat all political dissidents
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_dissent> as traitors
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treason>.
  10. Suspend the rule of law
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_law>.^[/citation needed
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>/]

The book explains how this pattern was followed in Nazi Germany
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Germany> and Fascist Italy
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascist_Italy> as well as elsewhere, and
compares it to the current state of affairs in American political power
since the September 11 attacks
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks>.^

In The End of America <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_of_America>,
she compares the steps taken by fascist states in their early years to
actions taken by the George W. Bush administration
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush_administration> and the
U.S. Congress <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Congress> after the
September 11, 2001 attacks
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11,_2001_attacks>.^ ^