[Peace-discuss] taxes for school

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 22 18:32:48 CDT 2008

As Dianna Visek accurately points out,

"Sales taxes are always regressive because lower income families pay a larger
percentage of their income in sales taxes than wealthier families do.  Although
this tax won’t apply to food, medicine or vehicles, it increases the cost of
clothing, school supplies, toiletries and other basic items.

"The state collects a 6.25% sales tax, an amount exceeded by only seven states.
When local sales taxes are included, Champaign County residents pay 7.75%.  In
March Cook County voted to raise its sales tax to 10.25%, the highest in the
country.  If the school sales tax passes, we won’t be far behind."  --CGE