[Peace-discuss] taxes for school

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 23 11:39:12 CDT 2008

I'm opposed to the local sales tax for education for two reasons:

1) I understand that the plan is to reduced property tax so that the sales
tax is revenue neutral.

2) I also understand that the state will collect the tax and return it to
us. The state, which seems to be bankrupt, is liable to just keep the tax
by the mechanism of reducing other state funding to our schools, as they
have done with the lottery money.

So unless I am wrong about this, we will end up with neither school funding
nor property tax relief, but simply more money going to the state
government, which seems to be a black hole with regard to money.

Bob