[Peace-discuss] taxes for school

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 12:00:42 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 6:52 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:

Income inequality has grown at an increasing rate for years. We must demand
> tax program that redistributes wealth in a more equitable fashion.
>
> If you tax something, you get less of it. Tax (disparate) wealth, not
> income or
> consumption. --CGE

The counter argument, of course, is that if you tax business you get less of
it, which means fewer jobs, etc.

There's no "right" answer, especially in this global marketplace with no
sense of community or mutual accountabiity.  Just about everyone wants to
arrogate the assets to himself/herself, and pass the liabilities on to
someone else.  This recent bailout is only the most glaring and hypocritical
example of it.

John Wason