[Peace-discuss] taxes for school

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 14:21:51 CDT 2008

Folks,
It's hard to keep those old schools clean, and some of them have asbestos and mold. One school where I worked had to shut down their kitchen permanently and move it to the church across the street because the kitchen was so badly infested w/ bugs. (The bond referendum to replace those 100 year-old schools finally passed the following fall). Don't even think about the bathrooms... And forget accessibility. They're expensive to keep in good repair, expensive to heat and light: think NOT green. And of course they heat unevenly, so some classrooms are freezing while others are too hot. And of course no AC, so schools have to be dismissed when those 90-90 days hit. One day, my third floor speech room registered in the high 90s...

Congrats to those who did well "in the day" with a primary education in a one-room schoolhouse. Abe Lincoln didn't have electricity or indoor plumbing. Moses didn't have paper and ink. How far back do you want to take this?? This is now. We can and should give our students an excellent education -- teachers/other staff, programs, materials, and physical space -- buildings -- as well. All things being equal -- or as equal as we can make them -- it makes a huge difference.
 --Jenifer