[Peace-discuss] Convergence, left-right

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 24 13:11:50 CDT 2008

David is right about the definition problem. This is particularly evident
with the left-right distinction.

One common ranking places the interests of the poor on the left and the
interests of the rich on the right. A different common ranking places the
collective on the left and the individual on the right. Perhaps the worst
ranking places the Bolsheviks on the left and the Nazis on the right, two
groups that are so similar in their approach that this definition is
virtually useless as a starting point for further thought.

The liberal democratic tradition in which the US stands assumes that
neither pure collectivism nor pure individualism is desirable. The
Progressives of a century or so ago stood in this tradition. They rebelled
against the conflation of the interests of the rich with the interests of
the individual. The equation of Progressive with Liberal that Wayne and
many others make is, in my opinion, an error. I think we are witnessing a
rebirth of the Progressive consensus, not just a renaming of Liberal.

The commune (such as the Amana Colonies) and the utterly individualistic
frontiersman both have their good points, but Aristotle would rightly point
out that some sort of mean between the two would be more satisfactory to
the vast majority of people. Achieving this is like riding a bicycle- if
you assume too rigid a stance you'll crash.

I see the makings of a new Progressive consensus, one that is bound to
annoy both the left and right in almost any way you care to define them. If
this happens, it will be the third in our history. The first was our founding.

Bob